Erietta is a 3D simulation for virtual worlds intending to aid dental students in acquiring skills related to child behavior management. This project was presented during the 1st International Medical Education Informatics Conference, 2012 and was then invited at JMIR.
You can freely access the full paper here.
www.MEI2012.org, Apr 2012, Thessaloniki, Greece. Abstract: In Proc. Medical Education Informatics Conference, 2012, pp.66-7
Traditional training in dental education often requires the presence of human beings as objects for practicing. When it comes to pediatric dentistry, obtaining children patients for educational purposes may be a problem, due to ethical reasons.
Multiuser virtual worlds offer the capability of creating interactive learning simulations. Second Life is a platform that can support such type of simulation, letting its users build virtual objects and add interactivity to them, including motion, with the use of a procedural scripting language, the Linden Scripting Language. We present a 3D simulation created in Second Life intending to aid dental students in acquiring skills on child behavior management. Sounds and motion have been incorporated to the models allowing a more vivid interaction. Our scenario depicts the first visit of a mother and her young daughter to the dentist, who in our case is the student. The story unfolds using multiple-choice questions interactions, based on pediatric dentistry and psychology techniques. A correct answer will help the student to earn the child's trust and complete the examination, while a wrong one will reveal hints.
We aim to make this simulation freely available to dental students and to further expand it by adding a variety of educational scenarios.
As of 2014, you can visit the simulation only in Opensim VIBE virtual world. Erietta is no longer in Second Life.
Current version of Erietta: 1.1.
(Updated March 31, 2014)
1. Download and install the latest version of Firestorm for OpenSim from here.
2. Configure Firestorm to enter the Toothfairy Grid as follows: Menu> Viewer> Preferences> OpenSim. In the “Add New Grid” field, enter the following line:
3. From the “Manage Grids” list select “toothfairy” and then press OK.
4. In the “Log into Grid:” dropdown list select toothfairy.
5. Visit http://toothfairy.bio-se.info/register.php and register for an account.
6. In the “Username” box, enter your “Name” and “Last name” separated by a space. In the “Password”, enter your password and click “Log In”.
7. You will be teleported to the simulation without an avatar body. You will appear as a cloud. Follow the instructions inside the virtual world, in order to obtain a body.
If any of the above steps didn't work for you, or have a question contact me at: [email protected]