Erietta is a 3D simulation for virtual worlds intending to aid dental students in acquiring skills related to child behavior management. This project was presented during the 1st International Medical Education Informatics Conference and was invited at JMIR.
www.MEI2012.org, Apr 2012, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Abstract: In Proc. Medical Education Informatics Conference, 2012, pp.66-7
Traditional training in dental education often requires the presence of human beings as objects for practicing. When it comes to pediatric dentistry, obtaining children patients for educational purposes may be a problem, due to ethical reasons.
Multiuser virtual worlds offer the capability of creating interactive learning simulations. Second Life is a platform that can support such type of simulation, letting its users build virtual objects and add interactivity to them, including motion, with the use of a procedural scripting language, the Linden Scripting Language. We present a 3D simulation created in Second Life intending to aid dental students in acquiring skills on child behavior management. Sounds and motion have been incorporated to the models allowing a more vivid interaction. Our scenario depicts the first visit of a mother and her young daughter to the dentist, who in our case is the student. The story unfolds using multiple-choice questions interactions, based on pediatric dentistry and psychology techniques. A correct answer will help the student to earn the child's trust and complete the examination, while a wrong one will reveal hints.
We aim to make this simulation freely available to dental students and to further expand it by adding a variety of educational scenarios.
You can visit the simulation in two different virtual worlds; Second Life and Opensim VIBE.
In order to access the Second Life virtual world, you must install the SL viewer software available for free from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/ and register for an avatar at https://join.secondlife.com/
The following link will teleport you to the simulation: http://slurl.com/secondlife/SUNO%20Regents/78/3/1031
Current version of Erietta: 1.1.
UPDATE 17/09/2013: In order to flawlessly view the simulation in the VIBE OpenSim, you must download and install the latest version of Firestorm for OpenSim from here. Then you need to configure Firestorm from: Menu>Viewer>Preferences>OpenSim. In the “Add New Grid” field, enter the following line:
. Click Apply and OK. Go to the step 5 below in order to get a usernmae and password.
If you want to use the SL viewer, you must take the following steps:
1. Download and install SL viewer v3.3.0. from here (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8). This is an older, but necessary, version of the SL viewer. Despite the fact that for the rest of the VIBE's grids you must have the Imprudence viewer installed, Erietta currently contains graphics compatible only with the SL viewer. After the installation is finished, DO NOT start the viewer.
2. On your desktop, you will find a Second Life icon. Right click on it and select “Create Shortcut”. This will create a new shortcut on your desktop.
3. On the new shortcut icon, right click and select “Properties”.
4. In the “Target” field you will find something like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\SecondLife.exe" --set InstallLanguage en
Replace the text after the
with the following line:
and click OK
5. Visit http://toothfairy.bio-se.info:9000/wifi/user/account/ and register for a free account. Or contact me at [email protected]
6. Disconnect from the internet.
7. Double click on the edited Second Life's shortcut to start the viewer. From the menu, select the “Preferences”. In the “Setup” tab, select “Download and install updates manually”. If Second Life ever suggests a new available version for download, do not install it, as long as you want to access VIBE.
8. In the “Graphics” tab, go to the “Object mesh detail” and set to “High”, click OK and close the Second Life viewer .
9. Connect to the internet and start the SL viewer from the shortcut.
10. In the “Username” box, enter your “Name” and “Last name” separated by a space. In the “Password”, enter your password and click “Log In”.
11. You will be teleported to the simulation but without an avatar body. You will appear as a cloud. Follow the instructions inside the virtual world, in order to obtain a body.
If any of the above steps didn't work for you, contact me at: [email protected]